Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Banning the head phones while walking?
One Angry Christian
1-26-11


I found this story linked on hotair.com:

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Lawmakers in at least two states are looking to pull the plug on texting pedestrians and iPod-obsessed runners, claiming their diverted attention borders on disaster.
After targeting drivers who paid more attention to their phone calls and text messages than the road, lawmakers in Arkansas and New York are now looking to crack down on pedestrians equally distracted by their own electronic gadgets.
Lawmakers in both states have proposed restrictions on using cell phones and music players such as iPods by people running and walking on the street or sidewalk. The apparent message: Distracted pedestrians are dangerous.


Firstly let me say I saw this two days ago when the article was first published and might I say ... Arkansas voters have responded heavily to the idiot who proposed this.

It's hard to understand how Representatives are finding the time to kick around such incredibly unimportant and voter opposed legislation when our states are in a serious bind budget wise.

Fair enough to say, Arkansas is doing pretty well thus far budget wise, but when Southern Arkansas is known around the state for having generational welfare families... I think maybe their time is better spent on bringing jobs to the areas that need them rather than telling me I can't wear my headset on my run.

How do these people get elected? Wow.

UPDATE: I simply must post this quote

From 40/29 news


Jeffress, a Democrat from Crossett, acknowledged that he was backing away from the idea partly because of backlash from opponents of the ban. Jeffress' proposal, which did not specify any penalty, would have allowed pedestrians to listen to music in one earphone.

"I've had about half a dozen positive hits on it and ten times that many against it. That's the thing," Jeffress said. "I think it's just time to let everybody know to quit e-mailing me."


Imagine what would happen if people paid more attention to local politics? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home