Saturday, December 16, 2006

Who am I? Why am I here? Why the hostility?
One Angry Christian
12-14-06


I've decided to throw up a little blurb about who I am, what I'm about, and why I write here about the things that I do to cover all of the general questions that people keep posting in response to my blogs. You know, the "if you're really a Christian why do you "insert random assumption about another persons personal beliefs here".

So here it is. Take it or leave it. Love it or hate it. I really don't care.

Who is One Angry Christian?
I am a middle aged man who has had more experience with modern Christianity than I care to go into. I've studied the bible at length, from it's text to its history and it's so-called "missing portions" and "mistranslations". I've also studied Church history from the Apostles on to home based Churches to the advent, rise, and semi-fall of the Catholic Church due to it's entwinement with the Roman Empire.

I am not a practicing Christian. In fact, I'm very far from it. Did you get that? Let me say it again. I am NOT a practicing Christian. Just because one has an understanding of a religion does not mean they practice it. Just because one has empathy for its followers, and the persecutions they suffer does not mean they adhere to, practice, or even completely agree with its precepts.

I hold some core beliefs that are tantamount to Christian fundamental beliefs. In theory this would make me a Christian, but I neither claim to be nor try to be a Christian. I am simply who I am. I believe what I believe, and I really don't care if anyone follows what I believe or agrees with me. I state what I think, and I move on.

Regardless of what the media would have you believe Christians are a diverse group. Learn to live with it.
Why do you write this stuff?
There are several reasons I write the articles that I do, and keep up with this blog (though not as well as I used to). Partially it's because I'm a political junkie and news addict. This stuff is extremely important as I see the world changing, standards being destroyed, and freedoms being eradicated while so-called "new freedoms" are invented and used to suppress what were once considered the fundamental freedoms of man.

The primary reason I do it is rather simple actually. I write because it's what's on my mind. Is that so hard to accept?
Why the Hostility?
Often times I get asked "can a Christian be angry". That usually comes from someone who has little understanding of biblical texts (See Jesus destroying the money changers stuff in the Temple in the Gospels), and is usually some sort of a bait to drag me into a pointless discussion about how terrible I am because things like dishonest politicians and religious bigots piss me off.

Yes. I said "piss me off". I use very little profanity (damn, hell, and the like, but never the F bomb), but you will find a bit of it here where I feel it helps express my exasperation at the situation or subject I'm writing about. If you have a problem with that then feel free to stay out of my blog. I make no apologies for my writings except where, on occasion they might be shown to be factually inaccurate. In which case I not only apologize, but I print a retraction ... unlike the New York Times or the Associated Press in most cases.

Sad that a tiny little no name blogger like me understands those processes better than well paid "educated" journalists and editors in places like that, no?

I'm ok with being angry about some things. The Bible says, and this is one thing I very much agree with "Love that which is good, and hate that which is evil". Which calls upon us to make judgment calls, and hate those things which are deemed evil.

In this day and age it is considered "evil" to make a judgment call. That with in itself is a hypocrisy. It is also a complete contradiction in philosophical structure, and yet I find it so very very amusing. It is amusing to me because those who call for "non judgement of any behavior or belief" so harshly judge and often times socially execute those whom they disagree with.

Anyway, I think that does it for this summary.

-One Angry Christian

2 Comments:

Blogger Stevemd said...

In your biblical studies, do you remember 2 Timothy chapter 3?

12:32 PM  
Blogger One Angry Christian said...

I'm not sure I get the point here, but yeah I've read that particular chapter many times.

I actually really enjoy it. Mostly because it points out how the Word of God will make one FUNCTIONAL as a person rather than a lunatic who hides in a hole and can't deal with society.

"16. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17. so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

I'm guessing you had a point?

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home